As an entrepreneur, at some point you’ll have to decide what kind of business you’re going to form. For me, the choice was simple. I’m essentially a sole proprietor, but I also wanted to be protected in case someone ever tried to sue me. So I filed for an LLC.
It can seem pretty daunting at first, but it’s actually not too hard. Here’s how I did it:
- Fill out this form (there are instructions at the top if you ever get confused).
- Print it off, and sign it
- Make a copy of your signed form
- Cut a check for $300 and make it payable to “Secretary of State”
- Mail both copies and your check to the following address:
Secretary of State
PO Box 13697
Austin, TX 78711-3697
Note: This only applies if you’re filing a Texas LLC. For other states, you’ll have to Google around for the forms to fill out.
After a couple of weeks, you should get a congratulatory letter in the mail. Save it because there is some important info that you’ll use for getting an EIN (which I’ll cover in a future post).